My First Low FODMAP Meal

Welcome to My Low FODMAP Diet! I have decided to try FODMAP elimination due to IBS symptoms that have been getting progressively worse for me. I can sometimes go for days without bloating going away, and it makes for some really uncomfortable times! I also envy my friends who tell me they poop every day... I don't think I've ever experienced that one! And when I do, it's almost never healthy.

After seeing a nutritionist about my symptoms, she recommended that I try a low FODMAP diet. FODMAPs are carbohydrates that can be hard for some people to digest. These carbohydrates are lactose, fructose, fructans/GOS, and polyols. While all of these big words might be a bit hard to DIGEST (pun totally intended), I have included a ton of resources on my Resources page that dive into the science behind FODMAPs to help you understand how it all works!

For my first meal on Day 1, I decided it would be best to try to stick to my usual sweet Saturday morning breakfast of pancakes! I found a gluten-free pancake mix from King Arthur Flour that even gave instructions on the box for making these pancakes dairy-free! I also happen to have an intolerance to egg yolks, so I used egg whites along with olive oil and water (because of course I forgot to buy lactaid milk!).

The pancakes were quite delicious, even plain! I immediately added pure maple syrup to my shopping list, but even before trying these pancakes with the syrup, I am certain that they will taste identical to the real deal! I will be sure to use Lactaid instead of water next time, too. 😄


Comments